Thursday, March 25, 2010

Oh, Cigarettes

As previously mentioned, I took four days off running and visited New York for a college friend's surprise birthday party/to hang out with Boulos. There was a LOT of drinking during those four days, which led to me buying a pack of cigarettes and smoking nearly the whole thing. Obviously, my return to running on Monday was full of hacking.

I planned to run about five times around the running path on Monday, which I think I accomplished, but I had to stop and walk twice. Smoking is bad for you, kids. Today, I ran about 3.1 miles around my neighborhood (the 5k I'd mapped, though I ran farther this time and the damn map STILL tells me that I only ran 3.09 miles). With only about 6 minutes left, I had to stop and walk due to a cramp -- but I did better today. I plan to do sprints on Friday. I'm loving the sprints but I made the mistake of doing them twice in a row last week and my legs were KILLING me. However, I seem to have quickly shed a couple pounds around that time, so I'm going to keep them in the rotation.

It's really funny, but every time I take a few days off or smoke, I feel certain I am going to fail at my next run. Not, like, have to walk for awhile, but somehow wind up on the ground in agony, unable to move, halfway through. Maybe if I keep running for a year or so, I'll consider myself a runner. Ha.

1 comment:

  1. You are so good! I have yet to get back to it, but the combo of smoking/excessive drinking/eating all the wrong things seems to have effected me via weird shin aches (or maybe that's b/c of my fall). I am finally going to head back to some sort of treadmill based activity by Monday, and we'll see what happens from there. You should be so proud you went back to it right away, wife! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete