Thursday, March 4, 2010

Week 9 Redux, Day 1: Feels Like the First Time, Feels Like the Very First Time

I hope the crude title offends no one (I am not talking about Week 1 Day 1 when I refer to the first time). But I just got back from starting off my second take on Week 9 and OUCH. Oh my god. I actually LIMPED half the way home. The cherry on top of that shitty sundae was the skinny bitch who ran very speedily right by me while I dragged my left leg behind me, obviously an hour into her run and moving at a pace about 5x what I manage to pull off at my fastest. I hate her. (Also she nearly killed herself darting into traffic when she got the no walk sign because she just couldn't slow down. F YOU FAST RUNNING GIRL.)

Okay. I'm not actually in that shitty a mood, but seriously my legs hurt so badly. I extended my cool down walk by an extra four minutes so that I could sit down without collapsing, crying, giving up on life and begging my dog to end it all for me. My calves, my shins, my left foot and my hamstrings all ache. My left side hurts about ten times worse than my right -- which is usual for me and probably an indication that my form is bad, I'd guess. However, I would like to point out that my quads do not hurt, and that I was babysitting and wearing leggings yesterday and the kid decided he wanted to lay on my lower legs so I could raise them and make him "fly," you know -- that move. And when I lifted my legs with him on my calves, I could see my quads clearly defined through my leggings. I am officially hot shit. Maybe not as hot as running girl whose dust I ate, but still pretty hot.

Tonight, I decided to run to my own mix. I love Carli, but one week of the Week 9 podcast has been enough for me. Plus I had this intense plan to psych myself out -- new music with no clearly defined midpoint, and I began my running route kind of backwards so I couldn't keep such intense track of how much distance I still had.

This worked, kind of. Still, at about the same point I had to walk during my last run -- I could vaguely keep track of about where I was -- I got stomach cramps, leg aches, etc. I had to slow down to probably my slowest "running" pace yet. I looked like the old folks who speedwalk in malls before the stores open, but with a tiny extra hop to each step. Frankly, it was embarrassing. However, I never actually slowed to a walk. When the cramps disappeared and my breathing felt more under control, I forced myself to speed up gradually. Then one of my favorite upbeat songs came on (I timed that one incredibly -- btw it was "This Modern Love" by Bloc Party) and I knew I could make it to the end. At 30 minutes, I wound up with one short block left to match my distance from 2 runs ago. I ran an extra 52 seconds to meet the distance. Given the way my legs feel, on Saturday I will be stopping at exactly 30 minutes regardless of distance.

I hope that walking my dog later helps work out this soreness. I need a personal masseuse if I am going to keep with running. At least until I'm in better shape. Is getting in shape worth this? Are the cheetahs worth this? I honestly don't know. I'm gonna guess that not feeling like an out of shape asshole is worth this.

2 comments:

  1. Well, first off, I can't wait to see these hot quads in person, ow! As for skinny running bitch, she's probably related to nutastic death grip on treadmill girl, & they probably both live sad, pathetic lives. This also is just what I lie to tell myself at minute 4 of a 5 minute run, ha. Anyway, it's awesome ypu've gotten back out there, & continue to fight the good fight. I often question if this is all worth it, but then I think that even if I don't become a "runner" from this, it's certianly good times to be physically active, & to know if I feel like going for a run, that it would actually be something I could accomplish without immediately dying. As for the Cheetahs, without them who would sell us Cheetos? So, I guess what I'm saying is, when you feel down, do it for Chester Cheetah, & it will all seem worth it, or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now my legs feel fine. I guess I prefer immediate intense pain to lingering aches? I don't know. But I think it's worth it. Running is the only exercise I can really see myself maintaining -- I'll always be kind of anti-gym, I think. So I will run for those Cheetahs! I should sign up at some point.

    ReplyDelete