Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Week Nine, Take One -- Fail!

Well, my first attempt at Week Nine did not pan out. Unsurprisingly. I mean, did I really think that after three days off, including a weekend full of fatty dips and chips and frozen pizzas and cookies and bourbon and beer and shopping while other people took part in physical activity and very little sleep, followed by a Sunday night of booze and cigarettes and very little sleep even though I could already feel myself getting a cold, followed by a Monday during which the actual cold developed, with intense sinus grossness, and my eye became wonky (totally bloodshot -- retina cut from my contacts, or conjunctivitis? Who knows), and I got my period... I mean basically yesterday I felt like I was falling apart. Today didn't feel much better, but I knew if I did not lace up those shoes and get out there, I might never complete Week Nine. So I headed out after some intense procrastination, around 7:30.

It's been nice here, highs of like 36, and it was 32 when I headed out, but I'm a baby and felt really cold. Need I even say that I did not have a very "can-do" attitude? So I ran, and could not stop thinking about how much time I had left/how much farther I had. During the rare times I let go of those thoughts, running was much easier. But my head wasn't in it today and I gave into a walk at about 16 minutes. I probably walked for a minute or two, rounded a corner and began running again. I tacked on an extra minute or so of running to the end, and managed to make it as far (distance-wise) as I had on Friday.

The good news is that most of the ice on the sidewalks has melted. I ran into a few deceptive spots of thin black ice, but I can run without the Yak Trax. Of course, the running track is still under a ton of snow because for whatever reason, that stuff just doesn't melt over there. I can't wait to get back to the track and see how that affects my run. Will it bore the shit out of me? Will my pacing be better? Pray for sunshine and warmth!

Good news though -- my legs are not unbearably sore. They feel pretty okay! Three days off was good for something.

Starting Week Nine over again Thursday -- I will not count this program complete until I can run for 30 minutes three times consecutively! p.s. I really need some spring running clothes...

1 comment:

  1. God, sickness is attacking us all! I'm proud of you for getting out there & attempting. I'm still @ home being useless, but eventually will feel up to yet another return to the program... ugh. I'm so over life getting in the way of this nonsense! I'm convinced the only people who've actually completed this program in 9 weeks live in some sort of running bubble, where no other activity is ever allowed. Anyway, I'm hoping that steereing clear of crappy foods until I'm able to run again should help. Let's see if I can do that... ha

    ReplyDelete