Monday, March 15, 2010

Update on Post-Program Activities

So on Friday, I had to run. I was planning to drink all day on Saturday so that wasn't going to happen, and I figured I'd feel like poop on Sunday. However, I had to make a few stops on the way home and I wound up not running til about 9 pm. I was kind of frazzled by this but it actually turned out really well because I did not want to run in the (rather secluded) park, so I decided to try a route that is roughly 5k and consists almost entirely of busy streets. I'd seen it suggested on a running site, though oddly it had been removed so I had to re-map it myself.

And I did it in about 34 minutes! Woo! It was a good run.

I took the weekend off for the drinking and the recovery, and today I decided to try interval training, or sprints. I downloaded a podcast that I found via Google and basically did 10 sets of a 30 second sprint followed by a 90 second recovery walk/jog (I did walks for about 1/3 of them and jogged slowly for about 2/3). It was really fun! I think I'm definitely going to be doing these often because time just passes more quickly during them, plus I really like running at a speed closer to "full speed." Unfortunately the podcasts consist of bad house music. I may have to just make up my own interval type training somehow, eventually. After the 20 minutes of intervals (plus the warm-up), I ran a bit more to make it five times around the track and thus about three miles again.

So far, so good! I haven't been slacking off. Although I plan to take off 4 days this weekend (Thursday through Sunday) because I will be in New York with Boulos, eating and drinking and being lazy. Vacation!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, you can join my official slacker status. I totally did not go to the gym as planned last night. Perhaps seeing your super toned bod will inspire my lazy self to get back out there! Hopefully I will make it to the gym sometime before your arrival, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it. The sickness totally blew me off course, but I know I'll get back there.

    ReplyDelete