Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ugh, week 4

So, I have completed week 4, but I am not so energized about it. I don't really feel like I've accomplished as much as in weeks passed. I still seemed to be really struggling during the first five minute run, and  it worries me, due to the intense jumps in time that week 5 is soon to bring. I am having a dilemma about whether I should even bother starting week 5, or if I should remain on week 4 until I feel I've really mastered the entire workout. I guess I will see how I feel on Tuesday, and decide then.

Although I don't feel like I completely rocked the workout, it was enjoyable overall. I moved from one town away nearly a year ago, and I am so in love with my new neighborhood. It's so beautiful, and a lovely place to observe when out and about. I have to say though, that winter outside running is not my favorite, if only for the fact that my nose WILL NOT STOP RUNNING WHEN I AM OUTSIDE! Amanda, I don't know how you deal with this, but the second I start moving, my nose just starts POURING. I am not even sick, it's just the effect that the cold has on me. It's rather annoying to deal with tissues while trying to run, and wearing gloves. Also, I think that the treadmill holds me a bit more accountable, as far as speed goes, but I'm not trying to win any marathons yet, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

I have noticed that there is a really nice camaraderie between us runners/walkers on the street. Perhaps the time I spent as a New Yorker has jaded me, but I rarely acknowledge strangers on the street, I keep my head down and go. However, when I'm out in my gear, whether it be on the way to the gym, or during my outdoor runs, my fellow road warriors always smile, nod, wave, or even say hi. There's an unspoken bond that I really enjoy, and it is a great motivator. So, although I'm happy that I got myself out there to finish the week, I'm not sure I'm quite done with week 4, but I am ok with that.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should repeat week 4 if you want to -- I was reading some comments on the c25k Facebook page and someone mentioned they repeated both week 4 and... either 6 or 7, I can't remember.

    My nose doesn't run so much as it gets stuffy, but I do have to blow it a lot and it is seriously annoying. Still, I do think I prefer running in the cold. Coming home chilled but sweaty and taking a hot shower is so nice.

    Anyway, you are still doing so well! I think the jump to the 5 minutes was actually the hardest one. Whatever you do, I know you can complete the program!

    ReplyDelete