Monday, January 4, 2010

Week 4, Day 1, Take TWO!

When faced with the prospect of starting week 4 for the second time, I was absolutely terrified. Not only had I failed my first attempt, but it had been three full days (two of which were full of booze, a cheeseburger deluxe, and a heck of a lot of couch time) since then! Alas, the new year had started, the party is over, and it was time to get back to business, so after a long, cold Monday, I was ready to face the music.

When I got to the gym, I was not too surprised to see all the women who decided to start their New Year's resolutions, therefore raising the indoor temperature to even higher than when it's only kind of packed. Annoyed with the possibility of a bigger audience, I pressed on, remembering that Zumba would soon start for my amusement. I didn't get my new favorite treadmill, but I suppose I expanded my horizons by using a new one. So, with the fear that I might immediately collapse on the treadmill, or completely forget how to run, I got started.

Amazingly, I felt energized after the warm up, and powered through the first three minute run, with ease, dare I say! Even the recovery followed by the first five minute run was not so bad! I did the entire first five minute run without stopping! This was unbelievably encouraging, and thinking of what I would have to write later on, and the accomplishments Amanda have made this week helped me when I was feeling like I wanted to give up. The second three minute run was more of a struggle, but it was alright, and I made it all the way through, maintaining an even pace. The recovery before the final five minute run was where I was really beginning to feel it. The beginning of the last run was alright, but about a minute to 90 seconds in, I got a stitch in my side, that I could just not power through. I was feeling really proud by the time I got to this point, and knowing I have two more workouts in the week, I realized, it was ok! This is the type of day 1 I am used to! I don't believed I've ever completed the final run during any day 1, so at least I was consistent!

I am happy to have a day off tomorrow, but I'm also encouraged by how well I did with a three day, party filled break. I think that it was a really important lesson for me to learn. Several times in the past, I have given up on workout routines because I would take a break, and just be overwhelmed by the prospect of starting over from the beginning. If I fall off the wagon, it's ok, because I can always come back to the program. I am looking forward to the outdoor run I'll do this weekend. There really is nothing like running in the frigid cold, I can't wait to do it again! Finally, although I definitely have not lost any pounds  so far, some people have asked me if I've lost weight. I think that I have finally found something that is helping me to tone up, and lose inches! My aches and pains are significantly dwindling with each run, and it's fantastic. Thanks to all of my friends and family who've been reading this, and supporting us all through this journey! It's really an amazing experience, and I couldn't do it without you!!

2 comments:

  1. You will totally make it through the second run with no problem! I thought my legs were going to fall off after the first day of last week and the second run was nowhere near as difficult.

    I'm glad you got through this one, and we can continue on together!

    ReplyDelete