Friday, January 29, 2010

A REAL 25 minute run with just one break

Okay, I'm really proud of myself today. I had to stay home and take a nap because I have a pretty bad cold -- sore throat, very stuffy nose, etc. I'm having trouble breathing as it is and running seemed so very undoable. I skipped it last night, in fact, due to exhaustion because of this cold , which only got worse today(and also because yesterday was the most frigid day this week). But I did not want to get off schedule when I am already struggling to complete week 7, so after a nap and some soup, I got out there.

It's still pretty cold -- around 15 degrees F. I wore my ninja mask, which I kept on for more than half the run! I think it was actually helping me breathe with this cold. Finally the ninja mask works its magic. Also, I took a tip from someone on Facebook who had commented on another friend's running-in-the-cold-related status and popped in a mentholated cough drop before going out. I feel like this helped my breathing and my general mucusness so much.

I ran to the updated Running Into Shape podcast, which is actually 25 minutes. I was feeling pretty good and then my nose was stuffing up and I decided to take a break to blow my nose, take off the mask, and catch my breath. So just over halfway through the run, I did that. I walked for about two minutes and then resumed the run. I then got a slight cramp just below my ribs on my right side, which I tried to good-breathe away, but pretty much stayed with me the rest of the run. But it was only a minor cramp.

I think I am pacing myself well in terms of the C25K goals! Even with a 2-minute walking break, I made it around the track over four times in the 25 minutes. I believe the track is 5/8 of a mile, so that means I ran just over 2.5 miles, which is the goal for 25 minutes. I have decided I definitely prefer the track because for whatever reason, the pace I set on it seems easier to maintain and I don't get out of breath as easily.

Okay, so my plan is to try and do a full 25 minutes on Sunday if I'm feeling a bit better. I think I'm going to repeat week 7 one more time -- I want to do the 25 minute run at least twice before moving on. But I should still complete the program by the end of February! (Hopefully.)

No comments:

Post a Comment