Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cross Training Realization

So, I did another week 3 workout last night (yes, a full week after my last workout), and the running went very well, but then I did something monumental... strength training! For the first time since October, I was accompanied by my old gym buddy, which did help with motivation. Although due to spinal issues, she must remain on the elliptical machine while I rock the treadmill, we always followed up our cardio with weights. I think that getting back into a regular schedule of both will really help me build my endurance. I usually get my groove going the second running block into a workout, but by the end I really struggle. I think that getting myself into more overall shape can only help me continue to progress further in the program, while also helping me to prevent injury.

Thankfully, the upcoming weeks are relatively uneventful for me, which will really help me to get back on schedule. Although I'm incredibly impressed with Amanda's participation in a public event, I do not believe that is in the cards for me any time soon, and I'm ok with that. I mean, I am obviously further behind in the program, but I'm really into my own pace, and with the addition of the weights, I think that I'm on the right track.

Finally, I would like to point out, that although I miss out on sweet heckling by running inside, I did witness some excellent craziness last night at the gym. First, it was Tuesday night Zumba, which is always amusing and a fantastic distraction. I seriously want to try it some day, it looks ridiculous fun! Secondly, I saw some treadmill behavior that made me realize that no matter how silly I may feel, I look normal compared to some. The girl on the machine in front of me looked like she was holding on to the treadmill for dear life. The girl, who weighs no more than 90lbs or so, had wrapped both her arms around the button panel in front, increased the speed and incline way too high for her fitness level, and was running with such short strides, it basically looked like she was jumping up and down. She started this craziness halfway through my run, and was still doing it when I left the gym. This is insane! If she had let go, she would've been shot straight backwards into my machine, and lost a limb or something! Perhaps this ridiculous behavior is what keeps her so skinny, but as far as I'm concerned, it looked like the girl had lost her mind!

1 comment:

  1. omg what is with weirdo runners? That girl sounds insane, and I have seen some real strange moves on the streets as well.

    I am glad you're into getting back to the program, and that you have Dina (right?) back. I'm sure strength training will help lots!

    ReplyDelete