Monday, December 14, 2009

Fat Free Cheese

I now understand why contestants on "The Biggest Loser" often throw up while working out. Being that I work in TV myself, I always just assumed it was something put on for the cameras to increase the drama (which I'm sure is still true in some cases), but holy cow. I was pumped to have finally figured out the whole podcast thing, and as it started, I was off! With Carli telling me to be sure to journal because Oprah says it's good for the soul, I was on my way to starting Week 2, Day 1. Well ladies, this blog is good for my soul, but after my first two sets of running, I did briefly think that I might hurl. My problem was just being HOT. It was such a nice night, if I had a sweet headlamp like Alice, I would've loved to have done the run outside! I was sweating like I was in an audition for Flashdance, and of course, I'd forgotten my own towel, so I was sopping it up with crappy paper towels.

I never could relate to runners in the past, they always seemed kind of smug, like they were better than everyone else. I think that they just know that it's basically impossible to explain what your mind experiences while running. The phrase "dig deep" comes to mind, because during some of the later runs, I was considering slowing the treadmill down to walking pace, and giving up, but I didn't! I was in my zone, drowning out crazy Latin Zumba with the podcast when I had to think of reasons not to stop, and there were PLENTY. One was knowing I'd be sitting on my couch, writing this later on, and how I did NOT want to document how I'd given up without trying my hardest. I will not judge you ladies, and I hope you don't judge me, if sometime in the future I just physically can't immediately rise to the challenge, but I know that we're all trying our hardest, and that pushed me a lot further. Also, thinking of my Mom, and how she's so proud and inspired by my progress, and how hers inspires me, really kept me going. There are several more shallow reasons, like just wanting to look better, etc, but it was the support of friends and family that really kept me going! I also sort of came out of the "non-smoking" closet today on Facebook, and so many people voiced their support for my eight days smoke free! I know I say it in like every post, but I'm so grateful and psyched to have you girls going through this journey with me. Who needs Bob and Jillian anyway???

6 comments:

  1. I was like, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FAT FREE CHEESE? Which, btw, is disgusting and inedible. But I get it now. Also, I read the tip about journaling and I didn't even think about how this is kind of journaling. Good lord, things are flying right over my head.

    Well, I am certainly glad we are doing this together, but now I'm kind of scared I'm gonna barf tomorrow. Though I don't think heat will be my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha - I had the same reaction - wanting specifics on the cheese. Heat has always been a workout problem for me, so in some ways beginning this thing outdoors in December is genius. In other ways, its completely fool-hardy, as I've been pretty much bedridden the past two days with flu-like symptoms. Will I complete W2D2 today as scheduled? It may require a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice, please make sure you get healthy before continuing! That is the most important thing! Also, sorry for the title confusion, but I feel like the emotional side of running is turning me into a cheeseball, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, I did have a moment of, "GAH I want to quit," followed shortly by, "NO, you will quit smoking and you will start running because that's what you decided." It was mildly emotional. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, there was just an article in the NY Times about how dogs make better exercise partners than people and I just want to take this opportunity to say that I'm reading every word of these posts and I LOVE them, and Alice, I do not want you to die, or anyone to barf, and I love ninjas. And I'm impressed at how pink your blog is.

    Here's the article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/14/the-best-walking-partner-man-vs-dog

    Here's the best quote: "In the human walking group, they were regularly discouraging each other from walking," she said. "Missouri is a hot state. We would hear them saying: 'It's hot today. I don't want to walk, do you?'"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I feel like I totally used to do that before. It was very easy to fall into such a bad routine, but this one is much better for us! I'm glad you are enjoying are blog, Aili! Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete