Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Feeling my age!

Tonight I completed my second run. I upped the speed on both the walking and running section, but still was under two miles. Amanda, I'm not sure if you are a speed demon, or if I am INCREDIBLY slow. I did my walking at 3.7mph, and my running went up from 5mph on Monday, to 5.2. Man, I did not think that I would feel such a slight difference, but I seriously did.
Now as I sit on my couch, I have random pains throughout my body! I'm not incapacitated or anything, but man, I am feeling this change in workout. I guess weekly yoga class, and sporadic elliptical machine work really can't compare to starting a running regime! I had good music luck today, and my droid app worked a lot better. I'm hoping to borrow an ipod cord from someone to download one of the podcasts, but things went way better tonight, overall!
I have to say, that I'm really enjoying my walks to and from the gym as well. Although it is getting cold, it's fun, and kind of motivational. I have to pass a Dairy Queen, a pizza place, and ANOTHER ice cream place on my way, and it's a bit empowering to pass them all by with my bottled water and headphones, like I'm on a mission. I know that I shouldn't feel superior to the ridiculous people wearing winter coats and waiting for their ice cream at the outdoor Dairy Queen, but... I do. I'm really psyched for my yoga class tomorrow, because I could use some recuperative stretches! This whole solo gym thing as a whole is really a rarity for me, but it's cool. I originally had joined with a buddy, but she hasn't been able to make it in quite a while. In the past, I would've just given up, saying I need the motivation of another person there to make me feel more comfortable in a gym environment, etc. I am so glad that although I'm doing the actual workouts alone, I'm not, because of my girls and this blog! This is so fun!

2 comments:

  1. You may not have read my comment on the other post, but remember that I am including my 10 minutes of brisk walking before and after the 20 minutes of running and walking in my total distance. Also, perhaps the incline you set to make it comparable to running outdoors affects this?

    I am so glad you two are doing this with me! I know I'd probably quit next week without you (I just read the entire plan, btw, and I'm scared of week 5 and beyond). This was an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I have read them too, and they are scary! I cannot believe that I will actually be able to jog for more than a minute at a time!

    ReplyDelete