Sunday, December 27, 2009

On the Bench :-(

Well, I made it through the first four workouts, which I suppose is more than zero. I was just starting to think of myself as a runner and was excited for how running could help me through some tough holiday times. Then my knee decided to feel like it was being banged into a dresser repeatedly, regardless of whether I was walking, sitting, or trying to sleep. After a week or so on the bench waiting for the pain to go away, I decided this was more than normal wear and tear and went to the doctor.

My doctor showed more concern than she typically does. Generally when I go to the doctor, I get pointed to an OTC drug and told to wait out whatever is bothering me enough to have made the appointment in the first place. However, this time I not only got a prescription painkiller to take in the evenings, but I also got sent for x-rays, which may be followed by an MRI. These tests will confirm or disprove the hypothesis that without falling or doing anything dramatic, I have managed to tear my meniscus. Here is a nice illustration of what may or may not be going on inside my knee: http://www.orthspec.com/meniscus_repair.htm

So, I may need surgery and will almost certainly get some physical therapy, which I suppose will set me up nicely to start over with week 1 in 6 to 8 weeks or so. Just think of how many more hours of daylight we will have at that point! Ladies, feel free to repeat week 3 several times (like ten times?) until I'm back in the game. I'm on your journey in spirit and you remain my inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, Alice! That sounds and looks so painful!! I'm so sorry that you've been benched, but I'm happy you are taking care of yourself properly. Even if we don't repeat weeks, we will continue to support you the way you've been supporting us! Good luck on a speedy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, so sorry to hear that. I hope you just need therapy and not surgery. Rest assured, even if I escape injury,I will still be a novice runner in 8 weeks or so. We'll definitely be running together again.

    ReplyDelete