Thursday, December 17, 2009

Second Run, Week Two, Amanda style

Wouldn't it be funny if I was not, in fact, actually running, but was instead listening to the podcast while eating Christmas cookies and playing around on the internets, and then coming here to write and discuss and pretend like I'm accomplishing something? No? Probably not, but that's almost what I did today. I had errands to run that went later than expected (Target is a hot mess right now!), and I'm supposed to go to a friend's house in... ten minutes. But I'm sitting here post-run and sweaty. I've been running late since birth (when I was actually a week early), though, so whatever.

Today I concentrated on my breathing to avoid cramping, and it worked pretty well. I only had one mild cramp during the fourth or fifth run. I can do the breathe in the nose/out through the mouth thing for roughly 50 to 60 seconds each running interval, but then it just feels like I'm not getting enough air and I revert back to mouth-breathing. But, it's a start. Now I'm gonna be a real loser/smug jerk and tell you that, right before the lady told me to stop running, I decided to run faster for a final little sprint. And I ran like an extra 30 seconds after she told me to stop. And I'm unreasonably proud of myself for this.

In other news, my shins have been achy. I'm really hoping my new shoes take care of this, but my sister suggested I strengthen my shins, and I found this video to start with. Let's duck walk, ladies (p.s. that woman is my new girlfriend).

Oh also, I got two hot new sports bras at Target, since I only owned two to begin with and I don't feel like doing extra laundry constantly. Also, I have to buy myself pretty running gear to keep myself motivated. One has polka dots!

Addendum: Today was the PERFECT temperature for running. Local news says it's 36 F and feels like 36. I had to pull up my sleeves after the fourth run, and take my gloves off. I figure since I bitch about the cold all the time, I should also express my gratitude when god or mother nature decides to give me a lovely day for a run.


2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I am so glad you didn't freeze your butt off tonight, because I feel so guilty when you do!! I also am now jealous and feel like a loserly sloth for always being so out of breathe and such during my workouts. Perhaps I am not meant to be a runner, but damnit if I'm not gonna keep trying! I believe that I will be in a park similar to where you do your runs this Saturday, Amanda. I think that not being so self conscience on the street, and having gloves on will certainly make my second outdoor running attempt much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel guilty, part of the reason I don't actually hate winter despite living in Chicago is that braving it makes me feel like an Inuit warrior or something. So running in it makes me similarly pleased with myself. Honestly what with these fans being turned off and idiots tripping over your cord and staring at the same thing in a probably well-lit room, it sounds like I would hate a treadmill!

    And we will both be runners, at least for a bit!

    ReplyDelete