Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My First Run

Well, bitches, I've outdone you both. My first run was in a BLIZZARD.

Yeah, that's right. Or, almost right. It wasn't quite windy enough to be a blizzard (except during one leg on the running trail when I was running east and the snow was suddenly blowing very strongly right in my face). But it was very steady snow. New snow falling on top of old snow, which always = the most precarious walking conditions. Genius start day.

When I first got to the park, I saw one solo runner and a group of two runners. I was like, "Sweet, I'm not crazy. But I sure will look dedicated." Then I started my warm-up walk "on the running trail," which is in quotations because I couldn't see whether or not I was on the damn trail; everything was white except the sidewalks that cut across the park.

A few things about running in snow/running in general:

  • I don't think I was able to walk as briskly as intended; I didn't slip while running but walking was another matter and I need my legs to remain unbroken to complete this physical challenge.
  • I think these people (the C25K people) have severely underestimated how out of shape some couch potatoes are. There is no way I would be able to hold a conversation during the "running" portions, as they indicate I should be able to. Was I running too fast? Boulos, Alice? (Alice, remember, my lung capacity is definitely not as good as yours.)
  • I need to ask for new running shoes and pants for Christmas. I currently have one pair of appropriate sweatpants, and my shoes are old. The snow this winter is going to ruin them.
  • I need to buy new contacts when I can afford them. Running in snow with glasses was ridiculous. And dangerous, as I had to remove them to wipe them off several times, and then I went from not being able to see well to not being able to see at all in slushy snow.
  • I need to bring like 5 tissues, not one. The cold makes my nose stuffy and runny, which made this way more unpleasant than it had to be
Overall, however, running in the snow felt kind of epic. I have to say, I think I was the most apathetic of us three re: this idea before today, but now I'm pretty psyched. I almost wish it would snow every time I ran, especially since Boulos just bought me these for an early Christmas present. Alas, my next run is planned for Thursday, and it's supposed to be a high of 17 Fahrenheit. Blech.

6 comments:

  1. Wife, I cannot tell you how amazed I am by you! I'm siting here, watching the biggest loser, and I was wondering if you'd made it out! Wtg! I feel like my indoor training seems like a copout compared to you ladies! Perhaps I'll throw an outside run into the mix at some point. Regardless, I'm glad my gift will help keep you safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved running outside; I was really cold at first but I never got severely overheated. If it's like in the 30s by you, give it a try sometime! I do kind of wish I had a treadmill available for colder days, though. If it's really in the teens on Thursday, I may have to wait til Friday, as inconvenient as that will be for my life. I don't have a ski mask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to try it before it gets too cold. If I do my w1 d3 on thurs, I could do w2 d1 outside on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, there is NO way I could hold a conversation during the running segments (not that there was anyone around with which to hold one). I was proud of myself for not actually having a heart attack and dying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, yeah. My conversation might be *gasp*, do you see my lung back there??? *gasp!* Even that would be a struggle to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, good. I found that suggestion ludicrous! Plus I had nothing to say to anyone, anyway.

    ReplyDelete