Tuesday, December 15, 2009

First Day of Week 2 for Amanda

According to our local NBC website, it is currently 16 degrees out and feels like 3. I just got back from my run. Prepare for these weather updates to continue, because I like to complain about the cold.

I wore my ninja mask again and took it off less than halfway through, again. It's not too annoying to carry, though, so whatever. I thought the running path wouldn't be icy, and at first it wasn't but then as soon as I tried to stargaze (the sky has been cloudy through the meteor shower the past couple days and today is the first clear day), I slipped a bit on some ice. It was back to the sidewalks for me.

These 90 second runs are intense and make me want to smoke much less (though I quit, I still smoke socially once or twice a week). I think my issue is that I start out running too fast for each interval. I'm gonna try to even my pace next time.

I'll definitely make it through this week but next week sounds so hard! 3 minute runs! For Christmas! Let's not think about it.

7 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel about the intensity of 90 seconds! Ok, I just read the description of the next few weeks, & I feel like I've already been able to do more than I thought! I know next week will be Christmas, but we can do it! Also, think of all the smug jerks we can show up when they are talking about resolutions, & we've already got a jump on them. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got cramps in my side, like right under my ribs, during two of the 90 second runs. Fuck, I'm out of shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boulos - True that! Nice.

    Amanda - I have a friend who smokes and yet plays ultimate frisbee with me (albeit not super well) every summer. She hacks up a lung for the first few minutes of the game and then she says it clears her lungs. She always wants to quit so she'd be faster but it never lasts more than a few months. So brava for sticking to this better than people who are already in shape for running. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got cramps during my first 90 second run also - I think related to the large glass of water I downed right before heading out. Unfortunately, I'm still dying of swine flu or somesuch. My hope is to get back on the program Thursday and just change my rotation to be one workout behind. So someone else will have to be the first to complete the 3 minute run next week - I hope that your survival story will be enough to sustain me through the horror!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel as though I may be the guinea pig next week, and I'm terrified. I find comfort in your warnings, Alice! Oy... but you should get better before heading outside to attempt the 3 minutes, so if I have to be the one to do it, so be it. I cannot WAIT to get my running shoes next week, b/c I am having left leg issues, which I'm hoping are only due to my inappopriate cross trainers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cramps (side stitches) thing just got discussed on the C25K Facebook page, and someone pointed to a really useful article at about.com. I'd paste the link here but the paste option seems to be broken. Anyway, it says people who exhale while their right foot hits the ground are more likely to get side stitches than those who exhale while their left foot is hitting. Something about which side of the body your liver is on? Feel free to ponder this during your next workout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, thanks Aili! I read some of the comments on that and I think first I have to get the basic breath-through-the-nose, out-through-the-mouth business down. I really can't imagine timing my exhales to a foot! Gah.

    Alice, I think I am getting sick right now. We'll see what happens with that.

    ReplyDelete