Saturday, December 26, 2009

Week Two, Run Two was a Ridiculous, Annoying Romp in Melting Snow

I did this run on Thursday, but you know, Christmas happened and I had no time to write about it.

So I set off for my second run of the week on Christmas Eve, prior to church and family stuff. It had snowed a bunch, then there had been freezing rain on Wednesday, creating ice, and on Thursday it was just raining. Thus, a lot of crap was melting, the three or so inches of snow had a crust of melting ice on top, and everything was a soggy mess.

I walked over to the park and attempted to run there, but nothing was shoveled and everything was under three inches of snow. Yak Trax work wonderfully on ice, but what can they do about snow that is about as deep as your feet? Nothing much. I crossed the street and switched to sidewalks, most of which were shoveled, some of which had a layer of ice. Perfect for my Yak Trax (which totally feel fine on bare concrete, I will reiterate).

I got across the street, still on my warm-up walk, and realized one of my Yak Trax was missing. So I had to pause the podcast and retrace my steps; luckily I found it back in the park. At this point I was majorly annoyed and briefly considered quitting and doing this run on Friday (Christmas Day) instead. I'd stepped in a couple of puddles as well and had wet feet; the snow was annoying me, and I was cranky. But I opted to stick it out.

The run was okay. I tried to avoid traffic lights and thus ran in really dumb circles around a few blocks. The slush made my run a bit more cautious and affected my pace; speaking of which, in an effort to make it all the way through the second three-minute run, I slowed my pace considerably. I made it through, but I was annoyed because I could have probably walked faster (I'm a speed walker) than I was "running." Regardless, I did it. But, like Boulos, I am seriously considering re-doing week 3 tomorrow. I just don't know if I am up for the next step yet. I'll do my run later today and weigh my options.

I got new, excellent running shoes for Christmas btw! I'm trying to decide whether or not to wear them today. You see, we just got another four or so inches of snow and it's still snowing. Do I want to toss my new shoes into the snow like this immediately?

1 comment:

  1. WTG, Amanda! I am about to tell you about my second run. I'm so proud you stuck it out, way to go!!

    ReplyDelete