Saturday, December 26, 2009

Finishing up Week Three

It pretty much snowed all morning and afternoon here. It paused during the early evening but of course right before I stepped out to run, it started coming down again. It was kind of pretty for my run, though.

The park was one giant mass of snow -- maybe 5 or so inches deep -- so I bypassed it. Running in untouched snow that deep is nearly like running in sand. I ran on the sidewalks in the little neighborhood across the park from me. I made it through both 3 minute runs and I definitely feel they have improved; I did not want to die. However, I'm still going at a pretty slow pace during them. I suppose that's fine; I mean my goal is not to win any races, just to make it through the equivalent of a 5k.

However, I think the slow running is putting strain on my left knee, which hurts during and after my runs right now. Well, it's either that or I have bad form in the snow -- which is entirely possible; I know that when I walk through the snow, I tend to have hip, leg and foot issues because my caution makes me walk in a kind of stilted manner.

So, the question is whether to repeat this week or try to move on to week 4. Honestly, reading week 4 right now, I kind of want to try it. I think I'll attempt it on Monday; if I fail horribly, I'll go back to this week. I don't need to do this in 9 weeks, I just need to eventually do this.

I wore my new shoes and they were pretty excellent, and seemingly waterproof, which is a nice change. My left foot hurt a bit by the end, near the arch, but it seems that I'm doing something bad to my whole left side.

One more thing on week three -- I truly enjoy that Rockefeller Skank, aka the song they do a choreographed dance to at Prom in She's All That, is on the podcast.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing week 3! That's awesome. I'm so happy we both have new shoes, yay! As for your knee, I have had some left knee issues as well, but usually only for a few hours post run. I'm hoping this is not an indicator of something more serious. As for next week, I am thinking of making it a wait and see sort of thing. I will be completing week 3 either tomorrow or Tuesday, so we'll see how I do & go from there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I iced my knee after my shower and I think that helped quite a bit. However, it still hurts sometimes when I, say, crouch down to play with Jack. I guess I'll just keep icing it and stretching, which allegedly will help.

    ReplyDelete