Monday, December 7, 2009

W1 D1, DONE!

Ok, so I have returned from the gym, and successfully completed the first workout! I am in a completely different situation from you other two ladies, because I am in an enclosed environment, where people can quite obviously tell that I am no runner. These are some fun facts/problems that I have now observed from my first bout of running:

1) The C25K app for the droid is WEIRD. Apparently it wants you to start it after the first 5 min warm-up, and then will go on endlessly, so you need to pay attention, or you will never end your workout.

2) It is really hard to listen to your own music when there is a very boisturous, Latin-themed "Zumba" class happening like 5 feet away from your treadmill.

3)Quitting smoking the day before starting running is really not enough time for the lungs to properly respond, making running an insanely difficult task (but I was able to run each interval!)

4)Finally, and pardon me for getting a bit graphic, but.... apparently running may act as somewhat of a laxitive. I have heard awful stories about public pooping during marathons, etc, but I never paid too much attention to the direct correlation between the bowels, and running. Thankfully no accidents occurred, but my walk home from the gym was a bit touch and go, LOL!

Now apparently I have to somehow acquire some crazy workout gear, perhaps Alice, we need to schedule a shopping trip sometime in the near future!

~Boulos

7 comments:

  1. classic! Yep running can have that effect...on the good side I find it always makes my skin look better to cause you are riiding yourself of toxins.
    I'm using these podcasts -love them cause she's mixed up the music and added the rght cues for every week (runninngintoshape.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my experience, there's nothing funnier than watching other people do Zumba. I would consider it a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ladies. What a great idea! I also just started C25K (yesterday). Never ran a day in my 42 years.....and know exactly what you mean when you say that it was obvious that I was not a runner. I'm afraid to even tell anyone that I'm doing this (my husband doesn't even know) because I'm afraid I'll quit and have to admit to failure. Have any of you tried this before?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ghada, I am hoping between that and the lack of smoking, I will have a glowing complexion in the near future!

    @Alice, I am really amused by them, especially because their final dance is to "Man, I feel like a woman", and is basically like a pole dance.

    @Jksteedman, none of us have ever tried this before. We are all 29, and have struggled with weight for years. Although we've all done random workouts in the past, we decided to really try something new.

    I'm so glad all of you are sharing in our experience, and I wish you all luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I approve of pooping-related posts. Marty takes a dump right after each time he goes running. So I trust there will be a port-o-potty at your future 5k too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ghada, thanks for that link! I like the C25K podcasts but I'm not really into techno or whatever that music is. I love that this woman uses popular songs. I'm going to try these!

    ReplyDelete