Saturday, December 26, 2009

Lake Effects

Today I ran for the second time while visiting my Mom upstate NY for Christmas break. I had considered doing W3 D2 yesterday, but that just did not happen. I did manage to make myself go first thing today, it was actually MORNING, a first for me. My Mom hadn't gone on a walk for a while, so she said that she'd accompany me, so that was good motivation to get my butt out the door.

The weather this morning was rainy, but the second I got next to the lake, I was being pelted by ice. The ground was slushy and snowy, so I was wondering if I should use my Mom's Yak Trax to protect my brand new running shoes (I got them for Christmas, and they are excellent, btw). As I'm getting ready, my Mom asks, "Honey, would you like to use my YAY Trax?" I immediately burst out laughing, because my Mom is famous for her language mishaps, and this might be one of my faves! So, when I recovered from my hysterics, we set out for our gloomy weather workout.

We'd worked out a route that went along the lake, which I was sure would be lovely... man, I did not think that through. The lakeside portion of the run was FREEZING. Not only was it icing there, instead of raining, but it was SO WINDY and cold. I'd never faced such a head wind before! I have to say though, that like Amanda, I had to reduce my pace to run, and although I had the same thought that I could be walking faster, I was able to do it! The last three minute run, I think that I got through 2:30. I felt bad I'd gypped myself out of the last run, that I made it up at the beginning of the cool down. I'm going to see how I get through that second three minute run before I decide whether or not to repeat the week. I would not be ashamed to do so, but I did better than on Wednesday, so who knows? I am proud that I got myself to get two workouts in while on vacation, so perhaps the third workout this week will show even more improvement. We'll see I guess!

I hope that you all had a Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I love "Yay Trax"! So did you wear them? What did you think? I think the only reason one of mine fell off the other day was, I have to put them on outside bc they ruin the floor inside, and it's kind of hard to lean on anything when everything is covered in snow -- so I probably put them on badly. I did it in our lobby today; they were fine.

    ReplyDelete